Thursday, March 16, 2017

Fighting Cancer in the Philippines

Map of the Philippines
This media file is licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share 
Alike 4.0 International license.
Click here for more information.
This morning I received an e-mail from Mark, a colon cancer patient in the Philippines. His colon cancer is not going away, despite aggressive chemotherapy, surgery, and other procedures.  Just look at what this poor man has endured! Heartbreaking! He's worried, and asked for my advice. 

First, Mark's e-mail:

I was diagnosed with cancer last December 2015, Stage III-B. My CEA at that time was 8.7. I had surgery January 9, 2016. I underwent a very aggressive chemotheraphy twice a month intervals of every two weeks. I was given 5FU, Irenotican, Loucoverin, Oxaliplatin and a booster Avastin. I finished my session July 2016.

My CEA went down to 4.2. The result of my PET scan is very good as well. 

My oncologist started treating me with Xeloda or oral chemo therapy. In September 2016 my CEA went up again to 6.70. 

In early November I started to have stomach pain. It become more painful in December.

My oncologist asked to have a CT Scan. The result of my last CT scan January 13, 2017, was very good. No evidence of metastasis and no evidence of remission or recurrence, but my CEA was 22.

The doctor recommended a gastroscopy and colonoscopy. Three small polyps were taken out and yielded negative on the biopsy. My gastroscopy was also normal but my gastrointerologist told me that I have developed an ulcer.

I was given medicine for my ulcer -- Omepron, Mucosta and Bearse -- but my stomach pain is much more painful and the duration last longer.

I had my lab check again this morning for my scheduled chemo maintenance on Saturday (Avastin only) and found out that my CEA increased to 42. 

Really worried. Can you please give your opinion on this?

Thank you and hoping to here from you soon

God Bless, Mark

Dear Mark,

First, let's look at the stomach pain that began when you started taking Xeloda. Here are the side effects of Xeloda. Notice that stomach pain is 2nd on the list.

  • severe nausea or vomiting (may be severe),
  • stomach pain or upset,
  • loss of appetite,
  • constipation,
  • tiredness,
  • weakness,
  • back/joint/muscle pain,
  • headache,
  • dizziness,
  • trouble sleeping,
  • skin darkening,
  • skin rash,
  • dry/itchy skin, or
  • numbness or tingling in your hands or feet. 

Then you were placed on Omepron (aka Omeprazole). Side effects of Omeprazole include, although "rarely", abdominal pain:
  • Digestive system: rarely - nausea, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal / stomach pain, flatulence.
  • CNS: rarely - headache, dizziness, weakness.
  • Hemopoietic system: in some cases - anemia, eosinopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia.
  • Urinary system: in some cases - hematuria, proteinuria. 
  • Musculoskeletal system: in some cases - arthralgia, muscle weakness, myalgia.
  • Allergic reactions: rarely - skin rash.

These side-effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away.
  • Nausea
  • Skin Rash
  • Stomach Upset
  • Acute Toxicity
  • Rash
  • Pruritis

Diarrhea, soft stools, nausea or vomiting, chest pain, difficulty in breathing, palpitations. Discomfort inside the mouth.

  • Gallstones
  • Pancreatitis
  • GERD aka heartburn
  • Lactose intolerance
  • Medication side effects
  • Diverticulitis (inflammation of the lining of the colon)
  • Gluten intolerance
  • Endometriosis (only affects women)
  • Thyroid problems
  • Parasites
  • Appendicitis
  • Ulcers
  • Too much sugarless gum
  • Stress
  • Food poisoning
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Irritable bowel syndrome
  • Cancer

Many causes of stomach pain are related to inflammation, related to food, stress, smoking, and alcohol consumption, and includes lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance.

When I learned that my Stage III-A cancer had metastasized to my liver, one of the first things I did was to completely change my diet. I eliminated these foods:
  • all refined sugar (white and brown and maple syrup) -- I read the labels on everything!! I have even found added sugar in potato chips! 
  • all dairy -- no milk, no cheese, no yogurt, no sour cream -- nothing made from dairy, nothing.
  • eggs -- eggs have been linked to metastasis of colon cancer
  • anything with gluten -- no bread, no rolls, no pasta
  • red meat (except very occasionally)
  • fried foods 
  • alcohol (no beer, no wine, no hard liquor)
  • coffee
I beefed up eating these foods, all 100% organic:
  • fruit -- like grapefruit, oranges, kiwi, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas
  • dark leafy greens like kale, spinach, chard, and sprouts
  • green vegetables -- like Brussels sprouts, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, leeks
  • beans and lentils
  • Atlantic King Salmon (one a week) 
  • nut milks (almond, coconut)

I also strive to drink 2-3 quarts of filtered water per day. I drink it in a glass mug with a glass straw and avoid all plastics touching my food.

I prepare all my own food at home. I almost never eat food outside of my house.

Are you a smoker, Mark? Your low CEA scores seem to be that of a smoker. The normal range for CEA in an adult non-smoker is <2.5 ng/ml and for a smoker <5.0 ng/ml.

I had been a light smoker. I stopped smoking completely in November 2011. I do not allow anyone around me that smokes cigarettes or smells like cigarette smoke. No one. If they smoke, they are out of my life. I know that might seem radical, but it's necessary for my survival.

I've also started exercising more. I've lost nearly 30 pounds -- still have quite a few more pounds to lose, though, more than I will admit to!

I have devoted myself to achieving a balance of mind, body, and spirit -- as described in the book I mentioned to you, Radical Remission: Surviving Cancer Against All Odds. This book has become my "Bible" for recovery. You have to read it and decide for yourself if Radical Remission is right for you.

Even if you continue with the chemo, Mark, I recommend highly that you start paying very close attention to the foods you eat. I believe that a person's food can make the different between surviving cancer and dying from cancer. It is one of my most powerful tools for recovery. I'm determined to not let the cancer beat me.

I'm working with a Food Coach. I recommend you also work with a Food Coach. If you can't find a Food Coach in the Philippines, my Food Coach works with clients all around the world using Skype. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with her.

At the end of the day, Mark, it's really your decision how to approach your cancer treatment and recovery. Continue to work with your doctors, but ask a lot of questions. Do the research about the drugs they put you on, and know the side-effects. I've refused many of the drugs recommended by my oncologist, based solely on the dangerous side-effects associated with the drugs.

I also believe that what a person believes about their treatment and their recovery is what will determine their outcome. In other words, if a person absolutely believes that they will recover and thrive, they will absolutely recover and thrive, whatever course of treatment they choose; and, if a person absolutely believes they can't be cured and that cancer is a death sentence, then they will die.

It's also important to be in a support community, either online or in person. Being in community with others who understand what you are going through is tremendously empowering and healing.

Well, this is all I can think of right now, Mark. Be sure to check back regularly for posts on this blog. I will continue to provide information about my cancer journey, and also what I learn about foods, treatment, recovery, and radical remission.

I wish you all the best, Mark! My thoughts and prayers are with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment